Friday 28 March 2014

Hmmm...

Well today was unusual, to say the least.

Apparently the sigmoidoscopy procedure would take 5-10 mins, so I was seen almost immediately after arrival to the ol' Endoscopy department.

Luckily I had a good friend keep me company (and potential chaperone in case I got drugged up) and she brought...Louis! Homemade Walsh wonderfulness. Please see below haha. Inside joke, apologies.


*Skip past usual prep admin*

I'm gowned up, in the room, knees to chest and ready to go. Ish.

I persuaded them to give me gas and air based on previous experiences - to which the nurse replied "women can give babies using just this. You will be fine!" I suppose in a twisted way my labour prep is well on its way!! (Don't worry significant other, no rush)

Ok. I was in there 40 minutes in the end. Standard Harriet timing then?

Unfortunately due to my numerous procedures the original camera couldn't actually get up ze bottom.  The initial scope was straight...my insides were bendy. So we had to change to a flexible scope to get round the bend. Regardless, I have found a clip art of the situation I eventually found myself in...


Good view? That's questionable. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder hahaha.

To add insult to injury, as they were prepping the second flexible camera they left the other one on the bed. Next to my bum. This meant my behind was on THREE SCREENS AROUND THE ROOM. So I did what any self respecting person does, and just kept breathing in gas to let the lightheadedness overtake the shame.

But there is good news!

The majority of my large intestine is clear. But we also couldn't see any cause of the bleeding. And obviously by we I totally mean the doctor. I had no idea what was going on. Gassssss.

However he did say that I probably should have just had a full colonoscopy as he went so far round my body. And the pain! Oh the pain! But means to an end. You're already in there...might as well keep going?! Gassssss.

They did find a microscopically small haemorrhoid but it didn't look like it had been bleeding (?) At all. They took some biopsies anyway (odd tugging sensation. Never get used to that) maybe that will offer up an explanation?

All very strange. But course of action is to stick with the higher dose of pred and reduce by a tablet each week. And hopefully that's the end of that.

So all that was left to do was to deflate. For want of a better turn of phrase. And do a stool sample before my next appointment, which meant make my way home on public transport with a bedpan to poo in - except it was just that bit too big for my handbag. Ace.

X
SHARE:
Blogger templates by pipdig