Friday 28 June 2013

What took me so long?

I had an appointment yesterday and all I can say is: why in the world did it take me so long to move hospitals?!

To start with I was amazed by the waiting area - it was like an airport in the year 3013. I loved it...

  • You check yourself in by either scanning your letter, or putting in your details on a machine
  • When that's done you plonk yourself down on a chair - anywhere - as there are screens all over the shop
  • Your name will then appear on screen when you're ready to be seen, accompanied by a gate and a room number
  • BOOM BABY! Off you trot to your appointment
Nifty little check in machines

Waiting area (main part)

Coffee whilst you wait?


Initial technological excitement to one side, I was actually very impressed with everything at St Thomas'.

The doctor I saw clearly loved his job and seemed knowledgeable about everything gastro. 

He pointed out that there were multiple things he wanted to check out, and to be honest, I'm a little bit miffed my old hospital didn't bother doing any of the following...
  1. Check my B12 levels; as after a resection it's apparently important to keep an eye on this
  2. Book me in for a colonoscopy; as St Thomas' have a rule that 6 months after intestinal surgery things should be checked to see all is well
  3. Check my enzyme levels; as it's not advisable to be on Humira on its own, so checking to see if I can go back on Azathioprine too
  4. Have another MRI; as he isn't convinced what they were looking for in my most recent one was the correct investigation
  5. Check my thyroid; as I explained the weight gain issue (as in never lose any despite eating little and exercising)

All in all, he spoke to me like I was a human. He also didn't just assume that the bloat was my fault, unlike my previous consultant. And he said I will hear from a dietitian within a matter of weeks for additional advice.

AND he gave me a card for the IBD Team so - and I quote - I never have to feel like I don't know what's going on again

He also said that he sees a few other patients who are always super bloated. All of the time. Yet not all of them have an IBD. Interesting.

That in itself was a relief because it meant I knew I'd hopefully get somewhere with the ol' flamonge.

So I have a lot of investigation coming up, but that fact that he is so keen to find out what's happening with my Crohn's, my bloat and me makes me one happy Crohnie.

I now have a rejuvenated excitement for the future (again!)

X
SHARE:
Blogger templates by pipdig