Saturday 26 January 2013

A bum on my tum?!

As you know, I had the stoma nurse yesterday and I came home with this lovely mark drawn onto me in permanent pen...



So it seems that it is extremely likely I will be waking up with an ileostomy bag. IT'S IN PERMANENT PEN FOR GOD'S SAKE! And this will be my site marking for the surgeon when I'm knocked out cold on the operating table. To make sure it doesn't disappear before Monday I was entrusted with a faithful Sharpie pen, which I am having to use to colour in my new mate a few times each day.

I also learnt yesterday that my incision is not where I thought it would be; it's going to be down the centre as opposed to the bottom right of my abdomen (similar to an appendix scar area)



I am also using this weekend as an opportunity to eat everything I'm not allowed to eat when I'm out of surgery (as they could cause problems/blockages with my bag). That includes:

  • Onion
  • Tomatoes
  • Asparagus
  • Popcorn
  • Garlic
  • Peas
  • Winter root crop vegetables
  • Cucumbers
  • Lettuce


There is a whole other list of foods which I will have to slowly introduce back into my diet - as my stoma nurse put it "you will have your bum on your tum."

She also explained how some of her patients get quite attached to their stoma and give it a name; I am open to suggestions!

Getting very nervous now as there's only two days to go! I am sort of teetering on an emotional edge haha. But I will be fine.

Ahhhhhhhh! 

Will post again tomorrow as my final post pre-surgery.

Hope you've all had a lovely weekend, and thank you for the continued support by reading this.

X

SHARE:
Blogger templates by pipdig