Tuesday 22 January 2013

To bag? Or not to bag?

I feel like I need to talk about what I've just watched, as it is a lot to take in...

"Practice Makes Perfect: A practical guide to the care of an ileostomy"

Basically, I have to prepare myself for having an ileostomy bag for 3-6 months - athough there is a chance I may not need one.

This is why my forthcoming operation is quite a mind boggler; I can only be told the basics of what they're planning on doing, as a lot of it depends on what they find when they open me up.

So yes, a strictureplasty. And yes, it will be through open surgery. But anything other than that is currently a mystery.

Ok, I admit I was being dramatic! It isn't a mystery entirely. It's not like they'll chop off my leg whilst I'm under general anaesthetic (FINGERS CROSSED!) But I will not know the extent of the surgery, and therefore the recovery, until I come round afterwards.

I've already been to see the stoma nurse once before, and I'm seeing her again on Friday pre-op to mark where my potential stoma may be. She was so lovely first time round and made me feel at ease about the whole thing. She also gave me a load of literature to read through to try and help me understand the changes that will happen (if I have to have an ileostomy bag.)




From what I gather, I will need a bag if;
a) I have a strictureplasty but the surrounding tissue is quite weak
b) I end up having a resection as the surrounding tissue is too weak to support the strictureplasty

Both will mean the diversion into the bag will allow my body time to heal.

But yes - I watched this DVD earlier - was pretty intense. But I can totally see how it could change my life for the better! I just think that if I have an ileostomy bag, I have to remember that is a-ok to need an adjustment period.

So I imagine I will probably blog the most during that time - that's when it will really become therapy for me! Apologies in advance, my dear readers...

To summarise on my crazy thoughts: I think if I prepare myself to have a bag, then it can only be a pleasant surprise if I don't. And if I do? Then at least I will know I've done as much as possible to be ready for it.

Anyway, it will certainly be quite a talking point; having a bag of shit attached to you, whilst your inside's out haha.

X
SHARE:
Blogger templates by pipdig