Thursday 25 April 2013

Little bit shit

As you all know I had my scan yesterday; originally planned as a CT and changed to a contrast ultrasound.

I didn't eat anything yesterday (as informed by the accompanying rules to the letter) and arrived ready and waiting. Fortunately it wasn't a contrast ultrasound after all, so no weird aniseed/vanilla/medicinal drink to have *sigh of relief* it was just a normal scan - I just needed to be empty inside for them to have a good ol' browse.

In my mind I told myself that I didn't really care what they found, or how bad it was, as long as I knew what I was dealing with...

Well they found something!

It seems I have an abdominal fistula. That's a little bit shit.

At this point I may have shed a tear or five.

I don't know if I cried because it was relief at there being a reason why I'm so bloated. Whether it was pure dread because after already having two previous fistula in my ass region, things didn't go so smoothly [did I tell you the time I had 9 perianal abscesses?!]

So yes. This it seems, is what's giving me grief.

Although not talked about much, abdominal fistulas are dangerous and difficult to manage for both the medical team and the patient.

By definition, a fistula is an open passage connecting the abdominal organs to the external surface; in layman's terms, it's a hole between one of the abdominal organs out to the skin's surfa
ce.

Based on when the problems started going crazy, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and state that this is the reason I have the fistula:

Fistulas caused by complications from surgery may involve an incomplete closure of an incision made on an organ or from an inadvertent nick by the scalpel that doesn't heal and may become infected.

Read more: About Abdominal Fistulas | eHow.com

***

I got told I will be called today - haven't as of yet - with a time and day next week to go get MRI'd for further detail.

Also on the chase for a follow up appointment with the surgical team. AGAIN.

***

To cleanse my brain, I called one of the lovely girls I met in hospital last night, as I felt like I needed to question/worry/rant about what I'd been told and I know she's been through something similar.

She was so helpful and told me what to look out for with my scar, how I was feeling etc.

Although I've had two fistula in my bum/pelvis, the abscesses it caused were near the surface, but were never really visible... unless you were in a yoga-twisted-acrobatic-move-with-accompanying-mirror. And by 'you' I obviously mean me. Because it would be a little bit weird if you were doing it too.

Whereas with this abdominal fistula, it's right in my insides and I'm assuming from what I've been told, it will be trying to work its way to the surface - typically through the weakest part of my skin. How convenient I have a 10cm scar right in that spot.

Apparently the redness of my scar should have gone down within (maximum) a month post-op. Well this is what mine looks like today...

Outfit theme of the day: Club Tropicana drinks are freeeee
 
  
(Please also excuse the lower trouser elastic imprint - part and parcel of the bloat and wearing clothes)


But as you can see, my scar from my kidney op is nice and white (near my belly button). Granted this was from 2009, but once the scab fell off it was pretty much like this straight away. So another thing to keep an eye on, I guess!

If I can get anything out of this ridiculous situation, I'd hope that it's at least a few months of normality and that it won't be too much longer until I generally feel better - both physically and mentally.

I'm doing ok. Just feel a bit let down by my body haha.

Fret not, as in the meantime, I shall look forward to the weekend where I shall be painting my nails, getting my hair cut off and enjoying what's left of the sunshine!

Toodleoooooo

X
SHARE:
Blogger templates by pipdig